Sunday, January 14, 2007

..the longest day

Friday, I spent one of the longest days of my life. Flat on my back with the stomach flu, too sick to move; too bone weary to get comfortable; I couldn't stay awake and I couldn't sleep.

When I dozed off I struggled; with spreadsheets that wouldn't add; databases that lost data; questions that had no answers; meetings that I couldn't find; food that had worms - taunting me and sticking out their little tongues (do worms have tongues?); water that wouldn't turn off...

When awake, I lay rigidly still and worried; over the shower I heard running for what seemed hours in the unit upstairs; morbidly how long a person could actually live without food since I never wanted to eat again; about unknown things clunking and thumping and slamming the whole day long (and it always seemed so quiet here); that the icy wind whistling though the window slats would make my frequent trips to the bathroom, in my fragile condition, misery...

So I am truely grateful for good health and resove to feel less self-important in the future...hard as it is to believe, the world will go on without me in charge.

2 comments:

Ada said...

Well, we might go on, but life would lose it's luster.

Aaron said...

I'm very impressed that you have a blog and very sad that you were so sick...