Wednesday, January 24, 2007

A little voice...

A little voice on the phone talks to me - she talks about her day, about coming to my house and about "daddy's clock" - but what she is really saying is that she is thinking about me and that I am important to her... and so when she says good bye and "I love you gramma", my world is suddenly full of sunshine even though it is night outside.

Being a gramma is like, well, like nothing else. When I was a parent of one, I thought life couldn't get better and I wondered if I had love enough for two...and (like parents everywhere) I found that I did and that life got better still. The years that followed filled me to the brim with contentment.

I never, never expected to feel anything comparable. But then, Abigail June arrived in my life and I am in love again - and, guess what, she loves me back. Granted, she is a very loving child, so it is not surprising that she should love me. But, being me, and, therefore, afraid to have great expectations, I find it sweet indeed.

2 comments:

Ada said...

Awh. This will make Abby happy when she can read.

Albert said...

Well, yes I was there and I feel the same loving warmth each and anytime I read your words about our two babies. I remember the peace you made for them in their home - because I also felt it day after day. I remember their looks of satisfaction and relief when you kissed their hurts away or baked their favorite cookies. I remember the sweet nest you built twig by twig for my two babies. It was sweet - sweeter than anything I've ever known. And then along comes my Abby and it all comes back to me with bonuses. How kind and generous God is!